THIS EVENT WILL USE THE CENTER POND FROM 9AM to 1PM.
THIS SINGLE HANDED SPEY CLINIC IS AVAILABLE TO CURRENT (2023) LEARN TO FLY FISH STUDENTS ONLY, LEVEL 3.
ONE REGISTRATION COVERS TWO CLASS SESSIONS; THE FIRST ON OCTOBER 28th AND THE SECOND ON DECEMBER 2nd. PLEASE BE SURE YOU ARE AVAILABLE FOR BOTH SESSIONS
REGISTRATION WILL OPEN ON WEDNESDAY,AUGUST 23rd AT 12 NOON.
Spey casting has been around since the mid-1800’s, developed as a technique to fish the River Spey in Scotland. The broad water with heavy brush along the banks challenged anglers to get their flies out to the fish in the middle of the river.
The Spey cast is defined as “a roll cast with a change of direction”. The traditional roll cast you’ve learned to this point is great to straighten your line on the water and maybe you’ve even used it in a situation with limited back cast room. But probably not so much to reposition your line on the water---for example at the end of swing and recast….
This free clinic will be split into two, 3 ½ hour sessions teaching both water borne and “splash and go” Spey casting techniques, using a single handed rod you already own. Add these to your casting repertoire, and you will be able fish more water, more effectively, and have a lot of fun in the process.
With practice from what you learn in these two class sessions, you will:
- increase the distance of your roll cast
- be able to easily and efficiently change cast direction
- eliminate false casts
- be the coolest angler on the water with beautiful and satisfying casts
- cover waters others pass up (and catch those fish)
Steve Morikawa and Jeff Hogan will lead this clinic over two sessions.
Day 1 : October 28th, 2023 9AM to 12:30PM Water-borne anchor casts
Day 2: December 2nd, 2023 9AM to 12:30PM Splash and go casts
Gear to bring:
- waders and wading boots (studs not recommended)
- eye protection, hat, water
- notebook and pen/pencil for notes
- 4-7 weight single-handed trout rod with floating line (your 9-9 ½ ft 5 wt rod is perfect). Euro-nymphing rods are not recommended. Also, this is NOT a two-handed rod clinic.
- 0x, 7.5 ft leaders and yarn fly. Clean your fly line and treat your yarn fly with floatant
This class is open only to current (2023) Level 3 registered Learn To Fly Fish students. Your registration is free and covers both sessions. Class size is limited to 6 students total.
For questions, contact Bruce Greenwood firstname.lastname@example.org