This one-day Quarry Lakes mentored fish-out on Saturday, June 24, 2017, is just for the 2017 Beginners Class in the club's Learn to Fly Fish (LTFF) Program.(This replaces the North Yuba Fish-out on this same date that unfortunately had to be cancelled due to high water flow this year.)
Quarry Lakes Regional Park in Fremont, CA offers two lakes: the larger Horseshoe Lake and Rainbow Lake which together comprise most of this park. Quarry Lakes is just one of many parks in the East Bay Regional Park System offering fishing. The targeted fish in these two lakes at this time of year will likely be largemouth bass, but the lakes may also have either trout or catfish.
We will meet at the park main gate when it opens at 6:00AM. There is a $5 per vehicle entry fee and a $5 one-day district fishing fee per angler payable at the gate. All anglers must also possess a valid Calif. fishing license.
Upon arrival, we will set-up around 2-3 chosen picnic tables where we will break for a special lunch around 11:00 AM. Students may stay on to fish as long as they wish that afternoon or into the evening (park closes at 8:00pm).
The registration fee for this fish-out is $40. This includes coffee and pastries in the morning, a gourmet lunch, and a small selection of bass flies. It does NOT include the park fees for vehicle entry, fishing, or launching water craft -- nor the non-refundable campground fees from the cancelled North Yuba fish-out.
There is no limit to how many Beginner students may register for this fish-out, but all participating students must register.
Gear required for this day trip is generally limited to:
- Chest waders, boots, and wading belt -- or only boots, water sandals, or sneakers if choosing to wet wade.
- Wading staff: anything from a trekking pole to broom handle to any mfd. staff sold for this purpose -- so long as it has a tether to connect to your belt.
- A 5wt (or heavier) fly rod with reel and a floating flyline.
- Leader material: Can be old or new tapered mono leader cut down to 6' or less to offer an approx.15-20 lb test tip end; or straight tippet material in anything from 0X mono to 20 lb. Maxima (a 3' long butt section of 30 lb Maxima is useful for fly turn-over when using straight 20 lb or less tippet).
- Nippers and Forceps, or Scissor-type Forceps
- Gel Floatant, such as Loon Aquel or similar product
- (optional) Landing Net, may be tucked into wading belt if not using a fishing vest or pack.
- (optional) Add'l. Sml. Bass Flies and Wooly Buggers
- CA Fishing license (in addition to the park's fishing fee)
- Polarized sunglasses
- Sun protection: Hat, buff, sunscreen, SPF chapstick, and if needed, long-sleeved shirt or pants
- Water bottle, for on the water
- Camp chair, for sitting at lunch.
Directions to Quarry Lakes: From I-880 South, take exit #23 for Alavardo-Niles Rd., head east about 3 mi. to Osprey Dr., right turn onto Osprey, left turn onto Quarry Lakes Dr, and left turn into park gate.
For more information, contact John Murphy firstname.lastname@example.org 650-799-1695